Friday, January 20, 2006

Hello Slashdot...

Who could have imagined that? This blog was only created 30 hours ago and a link to it is already appearing on Slashdot. Good stuff! Well, of course the link is kind of hidden behind my nickname, but cares? I know I don't. Of course it always helps to read CmdrTaco's article on Slashdot formatting. ;-)

Anyway, here's a couple of articles I read earlier today that you might find of interest:

Pareto's Principle - The 80-20 Rule [management.about.com]: "In 1906, Italian economist Vilfredo Pareto created a mathematical formula to describe the unequal distribution of wealth in his country, observing that twenty percent of the people owned eighty percent of the wealth. In the late 1940s, Dr. Joseph M. Juran inaccurately attributed the 80/20 Rule to Pareto, calling it Pareto's Principle. While it may be misnamed, Pareto's Principle or Pareto's Law as it is sometimes called, can be a very effective tool to help you manage effectively." - very interesting read, makes you re-think your own schedule and daily goals

The Media's Crush on Apple [businessweek.com]: "It's the first time in my memory that a product announcement by Steve Jobs has caused the AP to send an alert -- especially since this development was fully expected. And it says a lot about the intensity of media attention Apple generates. When is the last time a NewsAlert went out based on the words of Michael Dell or Bill Gates? Clearly, the AP's editors determined this news was important enough to warrant such action." - yep, Apple is indeed very good at making their voice heard. I know, I because I was following the live updates from Job's keynote via engadget.com! and I'm also guilty of posting in forums about what products he might announce. but what am I supposed to do, ignore it? doesn't work. and you know it!

Web 3.0 [alistapart.com]: "The jerk at the library event was in love with his own noise, and the problem with noise is that it interferes with signals. What is the signal? What, if anything, does “Web 2.0” mean? What is the good thing that the hype risks obscuring? Well, there are several good things, it seems to me." - having "Web 2.0" on my list of things I'm currently interested in does but me in somewhat of an odd position on this article. am I believing too much of the BS that marketing departements around the world are producing these days? or are we indeed looking at a fundamental change of how the internet is used and perceived. it's still somewhat of an early call and while I do believe in these new "applications" and "services" it is true that some people could easily screw this one up. big time.

Product of the day: t-shirt "I was a copyright infringement in a previous life" - think I'll get one of those. and maybe some more for my friends. [via boing boing]


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home